Sunday, October 16, 2005

"Put up or shut up."

That isn't *precisely* what my principal told me today when he told me that with smaller class sizes, he wanted to see me take better charge of the learning environment and ensure that learning does, indeed, happen. I knew something like this would happen, of course: for weeks, I've been saying to him and anyone who would listen that the biggest problem I've had was class size. There were too many ringleaders, too many IEPs, too many non-responsive students and far too many walkabouts and petty fights.

Today, my new colleague, my principal, and I met to finalize our suggested new class lists. Of course, I couldn't simply hold on to every student I like, though not all of them are top students, academically. We decided to place academic and behavioral "anchors" in each class, as well as (of course) splitting up obvious disciplinary problems involving students who can't stand each other or like each other just a little bit too much.

Here's praying that it works. Dear Lord, give us some PEACE and let us teach these your children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home